Wednesday, April 12, 2006

State of the Union

You might of heard about the trouble GM is in these days. I know their high priced spin doctors have been doing a good job making people think GM's problems are all thanks to the union folks like me. They say there's too many of us or that our work rules are too strict or that our insurance and benefits are too good. Or maybe the $500 million a year (that's only about 100 bucks tacked on to the price of every GM car) they're paying idled workers like me in the Jobs Bank program are driving GM into the ground.

All this chaps my ass real good and I think it's high time someone stood up and set that story straight right fucking now.

We ain't the bad guys in this. We're the victims. Imagine one day you’re doing wiper assembly on the #3 line – same as you've done every day for the past 23 years. Next day the suits come in, bend you over and don’t even leave no money on the dresser when they’re done with you. You gotta watch your ass in this world today buddy. They shut down this plant couple months ago just like that. No warning. Nothing. You spend your life bustin' your hump just to make most of your child support payments and what do you get? Fucked up the ass, that’s what.

Course, we still show up for our regular shift. And they pay us full wages, health insurance and retirement thanks to the Jobs Bank. And they can't take it away from us neither. But those dickless GM Nazis got ridda the goddamned Mountain Dew in the break room. And, I heard some talk they’re cutting off the cable too. Can you believe that shit? I’ll tell you, you treat a man like an animal and he’s gonna act like an animal. Simple as that.

I'm not looking for no pity here. Me and the other guys in the Local are getting by. We spend the shift sittin’ around bullshittin’ and playin' poker. Frank over there – used to be a frame welder – he brings in a couple cases of Old Mil when he can and we make the best of it.

We were getting along pretty good until one of them tight ass corporate motherfuckers came by the plant to tell us about some buyout plan. The prick told me GM'd give me half my monthly salary for three years just to walk away. Bullshit! A man's work is his dignity. People like us, we built this fucking company off our blood, sweat and tears. Gus over there gave both his thumbs to GM for chrissakes. And these pricks think they can just sweep us under the rug? Fuck that. I'll be here every day until I drop. Long as I'm walking, I'm working. That's some Union fucking pride those douche bags didn't count on.

Now I gotta take off. Lunch break’s over and I gotta get back to the poker game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought unions were bad, I thought Cars were good. Turns out everything I've ever known is wrong.

Thank You Dirigible!

You saved my life....and also my thumbs!