Monday, February 06, 2006

Breaking News, Changing Lives

An open letter of gratitude to my local Action News team…

Dear management of Action News 8, the Area’s Breaking News, Weather and Sports Leader:

I want to express my gratitude for the great work your talented staff does every day. Whether it’s Daybreak, First at Four, Live at Five, 8 at Six or the Nightside, I know I can count on your team to provide the news I need to make my many of my minor decisions.

I’d like to single out a few areas here, but please share my thanks to your entire staff.

The Most Trusted Anchor Team in the Tri-County Area
Lisa Kim and Jeff Dean are absolutely fantastic. They cover our local community like a blanket, warming up stories no matter how many days before they ran in our local newspaper. I also admire the fact that, as your promos say, "They report, I decide." I'll tell you, though, with Jeff and Lisa at the desk, I won't complain if you start deciding what I think too! (It would be a lot easier and I could stay fresher for Wheel of Fortune at 6:30.) Oh well. What I appreciate most is how good your anchors make me feel about myself. Unlike those network snobs, watching Jeff and Lisa read the news reminds me that I’m not the only one who doesn’t know what’s going on. Thank you!

The I-Team Investigative Reporters
Your nightly I-Team consumer reports have opened my eyes to the hidden dangers that lurk around us. I never knew Tupperware could be such a safety threat…but I do now! You promise stories that will keep my family safe and you deliver! Just the other night, my daughter Sam was about to grab some leftovers out of the fridge, but SHE DIDN’T KNOW HOW OLD THEY WERE! Well, that story your pleasant looking reporter Michelle Daniels ran about how spoiled leftovers may put you at risk for salmonella came to mind. I immediately grabbed the leftovers and threw them away. If only I’d listened to Michelle’s advice and dated the Ziploc bag when we put the leftovers in the fridge, I wouldn’t have to worry about my Sam getting sick from some expired killer tuna casserole! From now on, I am putting my family’s health and safety fully in the hands of the Action News 8 I-Team!!!!

AccuWarningWeather Super Doppler Storm Center
Bob Grey and his team of meteorologists all get my AMS seal of approval. Some of my friends complain about how many times Bob breaks into prime-time programming to let us know there’s a thunderstorm in the northern part of our viewing area. But I know that Bob only does this because he cares about his viewers, no matter what part of the viewing area they live in. Bob should get a medal for his work! When my friends criticize Bob, it makes my blood boil! If it weren’t for Bob, how else would we know what the barometric pressure was? Bob, if you read this, keep up the good work! And your hair is terrific!

Channel 8 Sports Team
What I appreciate most about "Diamond" Dave Kent and the Channel 8 Sports Team is that, unlike the other sports teams in town, they aren’t trying to sound like those idiots on ESPN. There are none of those over-written, over-practiced highlights. Dave and his team just let 'er rip. Sometimes it seems like they've never even seen the highlights before, a lack of preparation and knowledge I find refreshing. And I'd like to see ESPN get exclusive footage of our high school girl's softball semi-finals. Nobody covers local sports like Dave Kent and the Channel 8 Sports Team! Take that Stuart Scott!!! Booyah!!!

Well, I could write all day about how great your station is, but I don’t want to get Carpet Tunnel Disease (Thanks I-Team!!!!!!).


Local TV news gets a bad rap from some people. They say you don't offer fresh analysis or deep coverage of the events of the day or that you're all a bunch of vapid morons so caught up in hyping every non-story you stumble over that you couldn't cover real, hard news if your life depended on it.


But know that there are many of us out here in the viewing area who are proud of the work you do. We know how tough it is to get us our PowerBall numbers and make sure we're up on all the terrible things that happened to other people today and/or may happen to us too. You're not just covering news, you're changing lives. Or, at the very least, giving me something to watch before my Seinfeld reruns come on.

Sincerely,

An Appreciative Viewer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I do miss the frustration I would feel when I would turn on the tv and hear crazy shit like "There was a tsunami in Asia that killed 250,000 people today. Stay tuned to find out what this means for the heartland." Then after commercial break, they'll find some tenuous link to Omaha by interviewing some guy who works at Pier One on Dodge Street about how this may inflate the price of wicker chairs.

Anonymous said...

AJ - you do not miss the frustration. You just miss having something to bitch about besides changing a shitty diaper.